Sehr Jalil firstname.lastname@example.org
- MA (hons) Visual Arts. National College of Arts, Lahore. 11th February 2013 – Dec 2014
- BFA, Bachelors in Fine Arts. National College of Arts, Lahore. Year: 2006 Major: Painting. Achievement: Awarded Honors
- A-levels. Lahore Grammar School (DHA Branch). Year: 2001. Subjects: Fine Arts, Business Studies & Urdu
- O-levels. Beacon House School System (DHA Branch) Year: Subjects: Eng. Literature, Accounts, Economics and Commerce
JOB EXPERIENCE (teaching )
LECTURER NATIONAL COLLEGE OF ARTS LAHORE , department of cultural studies, feb 2015 – present. courses and programs :
- BFA – HISTORY OF ART AND ARCHITECTURE second and third year undergraduate
- ART SINCE 1945, foundation year undergraduate Culture Studies
- HISTORY OF SOUTH ASIAN DESIGN third year undergraduate
- media and art first year culture studies undergraduate
- faculty member MA Cultural Studies (Dep of communication and cultural studies) National College of Arts, Feb 2015 – Present.
- A/O level & American High School Art and design. 2010 – August 2018. Various institutions, LGS 15 C, City School Ravi, Scarsdale international school, Lahore.
VISUAL ARTS (EXHIBITIONS)
- Solo show STRAY REFLECTIONS 23rd Dec 2018 – 6th January 2019 exhibited at Javed manzil, Allama Iqbal museum Lahore. Curated by Sundas Azfer.
- Collaboration: Pakistani participant in ‘Artist Filippo Minelli’s project’ ‘ACROSS THE BORDER’ currently displayed in the MANIFESTA 12 EUROPEAN BIENNALE, PALERMO Italy 16.6.18- 4.11.18. Nature of work: collaborative diasporic flag installation, performance video.
- Awami Art Collective project Presentation at Tate exchange, presented by Awami Art collective member Naira Mushtaq, interactive installation project January 2018.
- Love letters, group show 14th Feb 2017, curated by Mohsin Shafi, Sanat gallery.
- Fragment epiphanies, group show at Satrang Gallery Islamabad, April 14th 2016 – May 15th 2016
- BLACK SPRING A public Art Project situated in the walled/old city of Lahore. The old city was mapped and clusters of homes were selected/marked – with permission of the residents their rooftops were surrounded with linear orange lights which are most prominent in the night sky – the Aerial view of the area formed a neon orange web-type image. It was done in the memory of the spring/basant/kite-flying festivals in Lahore which were banned by the state since some years. Project done as a member of the AWAMI ART Collective. Launched 13 Feb 2016.
- Video documentation of project BLACK SPRING was exhibited in Royal College of Arts London as Project_16 – A public art case study by two PhD Candidates: Lavinia Filippi and Amanda Caminals – on public Art, March 9, 2016
- IN MAKING – Group show at Zahoor ul Akhlaq Gallery, June 2015
- Hum jo tareek rahoun mein maarey gae’ (those who were slayed in the dark Alleys) Public Art Exhibition/installation at the Lawrence garden Lahore May 2015. An ode to the citizens of Pakistan through the nation’s history, to the ones who were lost due to terrorism and violence. Work as a member of the Awami Art
- MA Visual Arts Degree Show Dec 2014 – Zahoor-ul-Akhlaq Gallery, NCA, Lahore
- Four and Other Elements Group Show Sep 2014. Canvas Gallery. Karachi
- SILENCE PLEASE! Group show of ten selected contemporary Pakistani artists. May 2014. Nairang Gallery
- FRESH – Selective works of 64 young ARTISTS – MARCH 2014 –AMIN GULGEE GALLERY, KARACHI
- Pakistani Voices Group exhibition of collaborative works inspired by American artist Jacob Lawrence’s migration series – selected from across pakistan and displayed at the prestigious Philips Collection Museum at Washington DC. Oct – Dec 2013
- New Works (group exhibit)by Artists who were a part of an exchange program Art For Social Change to the US. Exhibit along with documentary screening; 24.1.2 Serena Hotel Islamabad
- Somewhere Else Group show (5 person). Nov 2012 Drawing Room Gallery, Lahore
- Drift Two person show Artists; Sehr Jalil and Marria Khan. July 20- 27 2010 (initially and extended till the 4th of August 2010) Alhamra Art Gallery, Lahore
- Drawn Out Group show(four person) Artists; Sehr Jalil, Hurmat-ul-Ain, Marria Khan and Safia Abbas Oct 2008 Alhamra Art Gallery, Lahore
- All Pakistan Young Artist Exhibition 2007, 2008 , Alhamra Art Gallery, Lahore (won best painting award in 2007)
- 13 Satellites a public art project with VASL Work Display: Lahore canal Research display: Ann Marry Schmell house / German Centre, Lahore. 2007
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATION
- Essay THE SKY DREW SOME NEW LINES by Sehr Jalil and Naira Mushtaq . Book:Things don’t really exist until you give them a name: Unpacking Urban Heritage published with Mkuki na Nyota Publishers . launched on the 23rd of February 2018
- essay. art residencies – in pursuit of origin, Seismopolite Journal Of Art And Politics,november 2017 part 1
january 2018 part 2
- REFLECTIONS , SANAT .’when green comes and goes’ – a publication and concept based group show at the sanat gallery (write up/contribution was a reflection piece on waseem ahmed’s work) 2018.
- Write-ups on artists’ works for Sanat initiative publications/catalogues: Suleman Khilji , ‘Land Swept’ ‘my reflection on Khilji’s work, catalogue December 2017
- Inaam Zafar ‘Without’ ‘on inaam’s practice, September 2017
- Working on a book/publication on the projects on Awami Art Collective.
- Essay, Art Residencies – In pursuit of origin. Seismopolite Journal of Art and Politics November 2017 part 1, January 2018 part 2
- March 2017. Presented Awami Art Collective – public space ‘ART, PROJECTS, IDEOLOGIES AND CONCERNS – abstract that was written in context of a case study of Awami collective endeavors got selected for this remarkable URBAN HERITAGE CONFERENCE Simulizi Mijini / Urban Narratives at TU (A collaboration between TU BERLIN and Dar es Salaam,Tanzaania.The essay is a case study of two Awami projects.
- Submitted MA/Mphil dissertation titled ‘UNDERSTANDING THE PHENOMENON OF PARADISE THROUGH CONTEMPORARY VISUAL ART’ at the National College of Arts MA Visual Art Department 2016
- Awami collective abstract selected for ARTIVISM CONFERENCE in Georgia University, Art History Graduate department.
- Regular/monthly Contributor for Art Now Pakistan (only online monthly magazine on contemporary Pakistani Art) – Since May 2013. Essays, reviews, studio visits and interviews on art. Have covered a wide range of Pakistani arts and artists.
OTHER – training, research, projects.
- Full credit online course (nominated as NCA faculty) Boston Architectural College – on heritage conservation. Feb – June 2018. Selected Participant of the BAC and NCA exchange program in Boston and New Mexico, USA, the program under the supervision of director heritage Eleni Glekas was a retrospective study of monumental heritage sites, contemporary and ancient – their current situation and global context. June 2018
- Faculty training: Attended workshop organized by AIPS (American Institute of Pakistan Studies) in LUMS (Lahore University of Management Sciences), teacher training workshop on ‘teaching Art and Architecture’ was conducted by author and Professor Will Glover, Director of Studies at Michigan University. 25th – 29th Apri
- Faculty training: Attended workshop organized by AIPS (American Institute of Pakistan Studies) in LUMS (Lahore University of Management Sciences), teacher training workshop on ‘moving images, art and cinema’ was conducted by author and Professor Iftikhar Dadi, professor at Cornell. 1- 7 January 2017
- Supervised, Lahore Museum and National College of Arts community outreach project with the support of south Asian design third year class and Care Foundation NGO – 2015
- Member/artist AWAMI ART COLLECTIVE – a group of a few local artists and activists who aim to intervene public space in order to generate dialogue/discourse in society – Since 2015
- Selected for a full scholarship two-week exchange program ART FOR SOCIAL CHANGE sponsored by the US State Department Islamabad and Meridian International Center. Nov 10th – 24th 2013 in Washington DC and New :
- Art for social change exchange scholarship program (US embassy and Meridian international) :
- DC green workshop, with farmers of Washington DC. farmers market, USA.
- Workshop with brain food a private funding NGO for children/teenagers in Washington DC, USA.
- Mentoring on the policy of public art with artists and government officials/policy makers at the Meridian International Center, Washington DC
- An exercise in creative activism, using utopia as a model of progress by artists/reactive activists Stephen Duncombe and Steve lambert at New York university, USA.
- Elizabeth Foundation of Arts Newyork. Mentoring and visits to three artist studios within the foundation complex.
- Mentoring discussion by curator Mahnaz fancy on art and society and Pakistani art in the global context.
- Panel speaker among five selected Pakistani artists from the group of thirteen artists in the exchange program. Philips collection museum auditorium. Discussion on art, society and public ‘art for social change, experiences through the program’
- A workshop on environmental eco-friendly design
- Media and art workshop at the fashion school at Parsons school of design, New York ————————————————-
- Work selected in the category of the ten best works, all Pakistan youth exhibition held at Alhamra Art Gallery. The exhibition was known as “The generation next 2007”
- Senior Creative Copywriter – The Card Company (renowned local company). August 2005 – May 2010 – continued Jan 2012 – June 2013, written creative-copy for more than 5000 greeting cards. Other products: diaries, mugs, t-shirts, tiles. Copy types: serious, humorous, decent, romantic, loss, love etc. age groups: all were catered.
- Teacher Care Foundation excess english language program – teaching English as a spoken language
- Trainee /participant of several other teacher training workshops (National College of Arts, The City School, Scarsdale International School)
- Interior projects 2009 – 2015 in collaboration with architect/interior designer Nayab Kalim. Amuse – the interior studio